EAST PENN TWP., Pa. — Fifty-eight years of business has now turned to ashes.
“Lots of memory loss,” said Troy McFarland, co-owner of McFarland & Sons Garage Inc. “It was my bread and butter for over 30 years.”
Troy and Kyle McFarland own the body shop at 396 W. Lizard Creek Road in East Penn Township, Carbon County, where an early morning fire Sunday destroyed the building of a business passed from generation to generation.
“Words can’t describe,” said co-owner Kyle McFarland. “It’s sad to see that.”
It all happened around 3am Sunday when a car hit a telephone pole on West Lizard Creek Road.
Pennsylvania State Police report the driver who hit the pole is a 27-year-old Whitehall man suspected of driving under the influence.
The accident ultimately set the McFarland & Sons Garage on fire.
“When I first arrived I saw flames coming out of the garage door, and just like that the whole building caught fire,” Troy McFarland said.
“The fire engines came and tried to do the best they could, but it was too much,” Kyle McFarland said.
A neighbor lives right where the electric pole fell – a shocking sight to behold at 3am
“I didn’t know what was going on,” said David Heintzelman, who lives nearby. “I had seen that the pole was down and the car was over there by the pine tree. I have no electricity.”
PPL was on the scene, trying to restore electricity to the houses on this street.
Despite everything that’s happened, the business has no intention of closing while the owners try to get back on their feet.
“We’re going to continue to work across the street at our other location (McFarland Auto Sales) to try to keep servicing our customers’ cars and stuff,” Kyle McFarland said.
The McFarland family is committed to customer satisfaction. They are asking anyone with an appointment this week to call the auto sales office at 610-379-4799 to reschedule if needed.
“Hopefully we can rebuild, come back and still be able to serve the people of the area,” Troy McFarland said.
In addition to the loss of the body shop, a family that lived in an apartment connected to the shop lost all their possessions.
Thankfully, this family made it out safely, but if you’d like to help, information on how to donate is available on a Facebook post.